Get the feedback you want, when you need it most
Every writer needs feedback on their work, but family and friends are often not the best judges of creative writing endeavours and an experienced and objective opinion can be hard to find.
Through the Word Doctors website, I offer two levels of input:
- low-cost, quick critiques of a single piece of writing, perfect to identify problem areas and set you on the right track to tackling them, and
- ongoing mentoring to help with longer, more complex pieces and general writing development.
Background and experience
- As Sarah Willans, I was Poetry Editor of Writers' Forum magazine from 2007 - 20015
- As Sarah Lawson I am the author of four books published in the UK by Sheldon Press.
- My work has been translated for publication in eight languages, and I have been widely published as a freelance journalist.
- I have tutored for the UK's largest creative writing correspondence course and run writing courses and workshops online and in person as a freelance facilitator.
- I founded international poetry competition The Plough Prize in 2003 and ran it until 2010, providing thousands of tick-box and full-length critiques of entered poems.
- I've worked with many novelists on their full-length manuscripts and helped with submissions to agents and publishers.
Through my critiques, courses and workshops, I aim to help writers develop both the skills and confidence needed to reach their full potential..
What happens next?
If you'd like to submit your poem or story for a quick critique, simply fill in the online form and upload your work. You can pay via PayPal during the submission process (if you don't have a PayPal account, you'll be able to use your debit or credit card), or via bank transfer using the details provided. I aim to return quick critiques within seven days.
I am also available as a poetry or prose competition judge, and offer competition management and consultancy services: details here.